Sunday, October 24, 2010

Artist's Statement



I am always excited to see what comes to the canvas out of my original concept. Sometimes it is exactly as I had perceived it in my mind, and sometimes, especially with my abstracts, it evolves as I work. My greatest inspiration is nature, whether for a still life or landscape, abstract painting or collage. I use the colors in nature, from vibrant and vivid to soft and subdued; either can be breathtaking. Most often, I like to make the colors exciting, so they seem to vibrate off the canvas. I am also fascinated with the intricate patterns found in leaves, shells, flowers, rocks, and reflections in water. In abstracts, I have recently been inspired by the fractals of nature, the controlled chaos that looks random but isn’t.

The challenge for me is usually to narrow it down and focus on one aspect in order to start a painting. Do I like the composition, or is it the texture of the subject, or the mood I am trying to create? Once I know what I am interested in portraying, I can begin.

I love it when someone sees something in a painting that I had not perceived or consciously intended. Naturally, my paintings are my interpretation of something I was inspired by, but, of course, the viewer brings his or her own perceptions to a work of art. It is always so interesting to hear what others see and feel when looking at one of my paintings.

Education: Bachelor of Fine Art, University of Tulsa, 1981.
Professional: Assistant Director, Gloria Luria Fine Art Gallery, Bay Harbor Island, FL 1987-1990
Exhibitions: University of Tulsa, Special Recognition in Painting, 1974
Key Biscayne Arts, Key Biscayne, FL - One Person Show, 1987
Bakehouse Art Center, Miami, FL – Group Show 1988
WCA (Women’s Caucus for Art), Miami, FL – Group Show 1989
Blue House, Too, Watters Creek, Allen, Texas – Cooperative Gallery, 2010

Work in Private Collections:
Southwestern Payroll Service, Inc., Tulsa, OK
Daylight Donuts, Inc., Tulsa, OK
Mr. and Mrs. Phillip W. Brooks, Atlanta, GA.
Mr. and Mrs. Brian Belcher, Allen,Tx
Mrs. Monica Theis, Austin, TX
Mr. and Mrs. Humberto Sevilla, Miami, FL
Ms. Claire Garrett, Hollywood, FL
Mr. and Mrs. David Weinstein, Houston, TX
Ms. Caroline Wall, Tulsa, Ok
Mrs. Andrea Davis, Rockwall, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment